Monday, March 16, 2009

Gerberas I have loved...

Pink Gerbera I by Steven Mitchell
Pink Gerbera I



There's just something about this flower. I first discovered them when I was picking out flowers for my bridesmaids' bouquets. I had found this great long simple dress from Betsy Johnson's in NYC. I purchased four dresses: one large, two medium's, and one small, with only one bridesmaid with me. They all fit the girls like a glove. It was a beautiful crepe material in a plum color with tiny bunches of flowers dotted here and there. I know that one of the flowers was a pale blue so our florist had suggested a gerbera daisy in light blue with some other flowers mixed in for their bouquets. I just loved them. So cheery. Classic shape for a flower really. Something you draw as a child. The round center with the long spear-like petals. But I love all the colors that gerberas are available in.

The next time I used gerberas was for our first daughter's first birthday. We heard about a great photographer in the town we lived in so we had a photo session for her big day. I purchased a half dozen or so of hot pink gerberas to match the dress she had on and with a clean white background. Well, they were just beautiful photographs.

I had forgotten about this simple childlike flower and how it has appeared in my life on occasion until I found this photograph. I'll have to see how they will mark another special day for me.

My current knitting: with my little guy turning one this weekend, he steals a great deal of my attention during the day, happily so by me. No complaints there. I just have the evening to knit, so during this season of my life, I spend more time reading blogs, books, and ravelry about knitting than actual knitting. I can nurse him while I do those things, but knitting while nursing is getting a bit trickier than when he was an infant. Especially a lace shawl. Noooooo, no, no, no. I don't think I'm going to risk having it ripped out by those cute dimpled fingers. The shawl I am plugging along on is Wrapped in Comfort's Julia shawl. I need to finish and block by late April for a wedding I'm attending. My yarn is Lisa Souza's Petal (50/50 silk/merino) in the Tropical Pink colorway. I'm also working on a simple triangle prayer shawl for a dear friend who just returned from the Mayo Clinic for testing. Next up is working on a sweater for my hubby, Sally Melville's Einstein coat and casting on for a pink pair of simple socks for me. I already have a lacy pair that I'm working on, but the color is very autumnal and I need to see spring colors! The other two projects are both darker colors, and I think I've decided that I need to have something pink going on at all times. I just have to.

Newest pink find...very cute pair of pink cordoroy pants from a thrift store. Score!

We saw the movie, Fireproof, last night. It was written/directed/produced by the Kendrick brothers. The same team that made Flywheel and Facing the Giants. Fireproof stars Kirk Cameron who plays a fire chief having marriage difficulties. Just love all three films these devoted, very talented and FUNNY men have produced. Go rent them if you haven't already.



May the Lord richly bless your day,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers